Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Main Hall

For this challenge I take y'all to a little town in southwestern Montana, a town that has a lot of historical significance, the town that goes by the name of Dillon. We are not just going to Dillon but to the Main Hall on the University of Montana - Western Campus which was built around 1896. A 'vintage' I know we all can agree on that we haven't experienced first hand. The building is four stories tall and is of ordinary construction. Ordinary construction is masonry load bearing walls and wood construction making up the floor system. The building next to the main hall was built in 1907 and has connecting walkways on three floors. The buildings are still used to this day for classrooms and office spaces on the campus and are currently undergoing an extensive historical research and evaluation to be renovated and restored.


10 comments or thoughts:

Traci K said...

What a neat old building! In all our years of going through there on our way to Bzn. I don't think we ever noticed it. If we ever get back that way, we'll be on the lookout for it!

Mimi/Susan said...

Great post Carl and surely you didn't rile anyone up with a vintage bldg! I love old architecture.

Carl said...

I tried really hard to be generationly correct. :) I won't go quite as far as saying I have learned my lesson, but...

How is the foot doing?

Anonymous said...

Very neat! Somehow I think of spring and summer as a better time of year for building photography, but you did a great job of playing the red building off the snow. Beautiful!

Tami Asars said...

Very cool. I love to think about all the people through the years that have passed in the halls. The costumes/outfits, the hardships, the generations...history is fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Traci K said...

Hey, I forgot to ask...isn't that naked cowboy in the hat the MSU Dillon's mascot?

Carl said...

I was under the impression they were the Bulldogs, but maybe that is just the Official Mascot. :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of historical buildings!! Glad to see the beauty of the Dillon campus!!

All American Family said...

Beautiful building. If those walls could talk I'm sure we would all learn some very interesting things!

Anonymous said...

It is red, it has arches in it that could grow on me quick! Thanks for sharing!