Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A staple

20 comments or thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I love this gingam print but by chance would this be our dear ol' friend Betty's Diary of things worth cooking?

Anonymous said...

That's kind of what I was gonna say!

Wade said...

A picnic table clothe.

<3 Sierra said...

Wrena stole my answer. It looks exactly like the Betty Crocker cookbook that we have!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree on the Betty Crocker cook book - I have had one for 46 years that my Grama gave when I got engaged!! I still use it so much of the time!

Traci K said...

I'm going with Wade and the picnic table cloth guess, although it does look like the Betty Crocker cookbook too!

ducknme said...

Yep, Betty Crcker Cookbook was my guess too. My mom's old one looks just like that, stains and all. I've got a newer one that is pink and white checks for Breast Cancer Awareness.

The J's said...

I'll go with the cookbook too...sure looks like mine anyway!

Carl said...

I am going to go with a cookbook, BUT the Better Homes and Gardens variety. Possibly a 1944 edition??? Just doesn't quite match my ol' Betty Crocker cookbook...

Anonymous said...

Great! A dissenter. And he's right. Good ol' Betty was getting all the publicity for her rival. I never gave the brand name a second thought!

So, ladies, shall we take a vote now whether to kick him off or not? :)

Carl said...

GASP! Oh the humanity, leave it to a guy to show up you ladies on vintage cookbooks. *GRIN*

The J's said...

o.k...I'll refrain from any rude comment, however if it's a 1944, then they didn't change the look for alot of years, as mine looks just the same, and it was a new version that we got for a wedding present in 1977. But...then I suppose even that's getting a little vintage, especially for those only "30ish" now!!

Carl said...

Oh boy, now I really got both feet in my mouth. Hum, I bet there is nothing that I can do to change that either; but in true male behavior that won't stop me from continuing to plead my case. If I am not mistaken, BH&G used a diagonal (45°) red/white plaid pattern from 1930 until the late 40s, than they went to straight plaid pattern (circa 1953). The 1961 edition had no plaid pattern (the one I grew up cooking from). They also reissued the plaid diagonal pattern with the Limited Edition and 75th Anniversary Edition 2000 Vintage). Current editions are pink/white plaid pattern. So maybe my guess at it being a 1944 Edition was not correct, but most certainly not a crack at anybodies age or "vintage". Now I beg for leniency in my vintage faux pas.

The J's said...

LOL! You would think that with two grown sons and two S-I-L that I would learn just to keep my mouth shut! LOL!!

Donna and Jim said...

I'll go with the betty crocket cookbook. I think I see some cookie dough on it.

Traci K said...

I'm still trying to figure out how Carl knows so much about cook books?

Anonymous said...

I think instead of kicking him off, he should just make & send us all some goodies & we'd let him stay :*)

Carl said...

I think the waiting list for my culinary expertise is just a few days short of three years, but there is room on the waiting list. Of course just like with the stock market, past results are no guarantee on future performances.

Traci K said...

Just think though, you could add "head chef" to all the title's behind your name! Yeah, when are you going to start shipping cookies to all of us? Huh?? Huh???-LOL

The J's said...

Isn't it tradition to send your *friends* goodies for valentines day????