Tuesday, January 15, 2008

One of Six plus Eight

**************************************************
I'll add another view...


**************************************************
Sorry... I threw you off with the "elephant" thing. I was thinking of the blind men and the different sides of the elephant, if you know that story. If you don't, I'm confusing you even more. Anyway... here is another shot. Perhaps it's a bit like "uncle Joe's nose" in the topic intro post, it's a common item with a slightly uncommon feature.


It's really fun posting all these different shots, however! :)

***********************************************
Solved!!

I know you said two weeks to post the whole item but here it is. A 1930's Dobro mandolin or resonator mandolin. This one was my husband's grandfather's.

If I were doing this contest again, I'd choose differently. Something more universal. Maybe we can revisit this topic in a few months and I'll have learned something from it! It's been a fun one...

28 comments or thoughts:

ducknme said...

Wheels to a truck, a dooley perhaps?

Traci K said...

I'd have to agree with Tara...a close up of a wheel rim from a dooley.

Mimi/Susan said...

Hubcap?

Wade said...

Some kind of lid on a pan. Steamer pan or somthin like that.

Mimi/Susan said...

Got it! A collander..that was hard

Wrena said...

My 1st guess is a collander but I will go with my 2nd guess a flour sifter, if we were aloud 3 guesses my 3rd would be tea spoon -

Carl said...

I am stumped...The small scratches and the copper colored rods/wires make me want to guess a musical instrument of some sort, but everyone else is leaning towards a cooking item...hum...

The J's said...

I'm stumped here...

Anonymous said...

You got me with this one - I have looked at it several times and have no idea!!

Anonymous said...

Carl's getting close. Maybe I should post another part of the "elephant"?

ducknme said...

My husband thinks it is part of a piano, possible the fret board.

Carl said...

This one is tricky! Totally unlike anything I have seen before but with the last clue I am going to say the piano wagon sounds about right...

The J's said...

Some type of guitar?

Isn't it crazy how somthing common can be so complicated to guess when you see just a close up part of it?

Carl said...

Hahaha, yeah totally missed the boat on the 'Elephant'.

Bass has four strings, Bass Gee'tars have four or six, I count eight but they appear to be four pairs...

Now the mind is working overtime and over analyzing the entire thing.

Mimi/Susan said...

I took a picture of my piano strings and hammers and considered posting it as my entry. Let me tell you, MY piano doesn't resemble this! It's time for another picture of the elephant.

Mimi/Susan said...

I don't think this item is used in Ga.!

Anonymous said...

I believe it's used where the grass is blue instead of green.

Carl said...

Ok, my final guess is going to be a mandolin. That is the only 'normal' bluegrass instrument that I can think of that has two courses of four strings. But I could be wrong, so ask me a cookbook question.

Traci K said...

O.K., time for a 2nd guess...a resophonic guitar...perhaps a Dobros?

Mimi/Susan said...

Thanks for clueing us in. I was born and raised in Ky., but I'm not QUITE that vintage(Carl's term)! What a beautiful instrument...I hope you keep it displayed.

The J's said...

Wow, it's certinally beautiful, I'd love to hear it played. I've never seen anything like it!

Carl said...

Never have seen one like that, wow.

Traci K said...

It is beautiful! Who plays??

Anonymous said...

Umm... his grandpa, who died in 1998. Do you think it's too late for me to learn?

Traci K said...

No, you should give it a try. I bet the fingering would be similar to a guitar. Would be fun to hear what it sounds like!

Carl said...

Ok, so I guess we can't embed video in comments...here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxi3YLT-5I8

You learn the mandolin part and I'll get the banjo part down, than we can have a jam session...

Anonymous said...

Hey, sounds fun! So... um... how do I hold it and where's middle C?

Traci K said...

We'll all be waiting for your big debut!