"Beautiful" is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and anyone driving straight (and I do mean nearly straight) thru NE on the interstate would probably argue the beautiful point. I really wouldn't be able to convince them of changing their minds either, I have to admit. So, if you want to see beauty in NE, you have to get off the main track. (the -one and only- interstate!) NE is pretty flat and mostly wide open spaces all thru the middle of the state. To see the real beauty of the state, the Niobrara river,falls, canyons, trees & rolling sand hills, you have to go to North Nebraska, about 3 hrs from here. To see rolling hills, trees & the Missouri river you have to head to east, at least 2 1/2 hrs from here. To see the beautiful hilly/canyon country where I grew up you have to head about 1 1/2 hrs South west of here. That's where the country pictures are taken. Fall is my favorite time of year here, although much to short. As children we spent hours on Saturdays, wandering the countryside, following the railroad tracks. Exploring the coverts in the canyons under the highways...
On the other end of the spectrum is Nebraska's historical State Capitol building in Lincoln. Definitely an interesting stop. Two other landmarks in Western NE are "Scottsbluff monument", (more beautiful rugged hills) and Chimney rock. That was a prominent landmark for the Pioneers heading west in the early days.
Right here in our area, in the middle of the state, we have two specific landmarks. The first, Fort Kearny, as the Oregon trail went close by us-very old. Second is a very new structure, The Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. This two story structure spans our Interstate just several miles outside of Kearney.
Hope you enjoy'd the tour, and do let us know if you're ever in the area! We'd love to meet you.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Beautiful Nebraska-Peaceful Prairie Land
category ~ regional views
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments or thoughts:
Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing some views of the state most of us have never seen.
I have not been to NB either but love your pictures!! We have lots of prairie here too as well as the mountains and rivers... each have thier own beauty.
Maxine - you said you were nervous about posting NE photos... you did a great job! I come from two Nebraska born parents so the "sand hills" were like golden words to us growing up and Chimney Rock and the Scottsbluff monument were definite "rocks of remembrance". It is beautiful!
Great pictures! Never been there But from the looks of your pix I am missing out! But to be honest I haven't be many places. I love to travel but sorta hard to get much of that in these days!
Wow, and to think my trip to NE barely got me inside the borders of the state. I guess I sure missed a lot by turning back for home so soon...
I've never been to Ne. either, but greatly enjoyed the picture tour. You did a great job!
I've never been there either, but just like Wrena said, I think we're missing out! It is beautiful country!
I have to say that I absolutely love this blog. Everyones entries are so great. I really like these photos because I have never thought of going to Nebraska but it really is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment