Saturday, February 2, 2008

A visit to Copper Creek, Arizona

I love the water, the mountains, trees and fresh air. I lived in the Seattle area for the first 29 years of my life. Never in my life did I ever expect to live in Tucson, Arizona. A hot, dry desert was definitly not my dream place to live. However, life sometimes leads us places we never expect, and we can learn to find beauty all around us, no matter where we are. So, with this photo challenge I will take you all to a rarely visited place called Copper Creek, Arizona. If you go to visit yourself, you probably won’t find it on a map and will only find vague directions on the internet. You will also need a 4 wheel drive vehicle, good walking shoes (cell phones don’t work back there so if you get stuck, your walking), lots of water, and maybe a picnic lunch. It’s a good idea to not go in the summer as the temp during the day can reach 112 degrees or higher.






Along the way, you will pass beautiful Sombrero Butte. This is a 5,538 ft “hill” that I find very beautiful. Anybody want to go for a hike?





If you don’t know what to look for, you just might miss the ghost town of Copper Creek. In 1910, 200 people lived in a mining town here. There was a school, a post office, stores, many homes and of course, lots of copper mining. In 1917 the mines closed down and the people left. Now, all that’s left is the town sign, and a few very broken down buildings, places where steps lead nowhere and lots of old mining shafts.

So while this photo challenge is for structures, by God or by man, I’m submitting the beauty of Arizona hills. Man can build structures, but neglected, nature takes back over.



13 comments or thoughts:

Anonymous said...

This is really neat. The remnants of "civilization" returning to it's former glory: raw and rugged, God's country. There are so many varied beauties to this great country! Thanks for sharing this.

Tami Asars said...

Very cool, Donna! Ghost towns area always fascinating to me- esp. to think of those folks living there without the modern convience of air conditioning in the summer. You are right- the dry hot climates have a certain beauty as well! Great pictures.

The J's said...

I love the pictures! I have had family living in AZ for over 20 years, and although we don't get down there very often anymore, your pictures really bring to surface the feeling of being there.

Carl said...

Great pictures and stories to go with them. We have lots of Ghost towns in Montana and they are fun to visit. It is fun to ponder what life was like and to try imagine what it would be like if they hadn't become Ghost Towns...

Anonymous said...

Those cactus are something!!!!! I bet you watch where you sit when your ready to rest for lunch! O I wasn't going to mention this but it made me laugh so I better share - :D is in unsafe to squat behind the bushes around there? Sorry but I could not resist!!! Thanks for sharing your beauty around home that you venture out to explore!!!!!! Great pix!!!!!

ducknme said...

Hey! Great Shots! Arizona has some redeeming qualities but it's too hot as far as we're concerned. BTW is Flynn still around?

Anonymous said...

Great pictures - I have been to AZ and have pictures that look a lot like yours!! :)

Mimi/Susan said...

These are beautiful pictures and look like scenes from an old western movie!

Traci K said...

It's amazing how something as rugged as the landscape is also so beautiful! I've been to Phoenix, but that's as far South in AZ as I've been. I do need to come see you sometime!!!

Donna and Jim said...

Thanks for all the kind words. DUCKNME - Tara is that you??? I totally did not realize you where on this website. Yes, Flynn is still "with us". Check out her picture that I posted on Feb 5. Or check out my blog because I have posted lots of pictures of Flynn and Princess. And also to let you know, Arizona is perfect weather for you now. Today its 41 raining and windy with snow expected in the surrounding mountains. Wrena - Your peeing comment had me laughing. The problem is finding a bush big enough to pee behind. And Traci, yes, I hope you do come visit me sometime. It was nice to have Mike out a few years ago but I really miss you!
If anybody braves the Arizona heat in May and comes out to Casa Grande convention, let me know!! Also, spring training starts soon for all you baseball fans.

ducknme said...

Hey Donna! Yes, "Ducknme" is me, Tara. It's a weird screen name, but I can remember it. Naw, I don't like the rain so much, but we had 16" of snow here yesterday. You should come see!

Deana said...

That looks so beautiful!

Donna and Jim said...

Tara, well, I don't like the snow too much and 16" is tooooo much! Wow. Oh, and Jim wanted me to tell you that Flynn still remembers all the tricks you taught her. I need your techniques for Princess, as she is really hard to teach tricks too.