Friday, February 1, 2008

Elephant Rocks


Elephant Rocks State Park

This is Missouri, the Ozarks, my home ground. We usually just drive straight to my parent's when we go home, but last spring, we took a side trip through the Ozark mountains to this destination that LaRon and I had first visited when we graduated from college in 1991.

It's an incredible 7 acre spot in the middle of absolutely nowhere and these huge granite boulders are just piled around like someone dumped them out of a box.

Historians put an age of 1.5 billion years old on the enormous "elephants", the largest of which weighs in at 680 tons (I'm not sure who lifted it to know).

And just for kicks... here's one of LaRon from way back then.

My favorite combination? Missouri's Ozark Mountains and dogwood season...

6 comments or thoughts:

ducknme said...

Wow! What great pictures! They really DO look like elephants!

The J's said...

Neat! I'm feeling very intimidated about posting pictures of NE!!!

Traci K said...

Neat pictures, Amy! That looks like a great place to visit!

Anonymous said...

Amazing pictures!! Very interesting pictures of a very interesting spot!! Nature has some amazing sites to confound us!!

Donna and Jim said...

Wow, what a great place. I've never been out that way and its definitly being added to my list of places to visit.

Mimi/Susan said...

I love the last picture with the fragile flowering tree in stark contrast to the rugged rocks