The thunder of horses hooves and see a wild herd come charging over a ridge, a shiver runs down my spine. The wild horse herds are a national treasure. Viewing wild horses on the range is becoming an increasingly popular recreational activity. The BLM manages 23 horse and two burro herds in Utah, and many more in surrounding states. Many people dont realize there are so many wild horses. Horses from one herd, on the edge of Cedar Mountain, can often be viewed from a maintained gravel road just two hours west of Salt Lake City.
Wild horses are called mustangs. In Utah, most mustangs live in remote areas in the west desert and eastern Utah. The U.S. Congress has recognized the value of wild horses and created laws to protect them: "Congress finds and declares that wild free-roaming horses and burros are living symbols of the historic and pioneer spirit of the West..
Congress charged the BLM with managing the horse and burro herds, and strictly defined how the animals should be treated. The herds are prolific many are expanding beyond the capacity of their rangeland and the only tool Congress allowed to control herd size is a program whereby horses and burros can be adopted by members of the general public.
Wild horses are called mustangs. In Utah, most mustangs live in remote areas in the west desert and eastern Utah. The U.S. Congress has recognized the value of wild horses and created laws to protect them: "Congress finds and declares that wild free-roaming horses and burros are living symbols of the historic and pioneer spirit of the West..
Congress charged the BLM with managing the horse and burro herds, and strictly defined how the animals should be treated. The herds are prolific many are expanding beyond the capacity of their rangeland and the only tool Congress allowed to control herd size is a program whereby horses and burros can be adopted by members of the general public.

10 comments or thoughts:
Neat picture, Wrena! I forgot about the wild horses in UT!
Wow! All I can say is Wow! What a great picture!
Beautiful! I'm sure that made your heart pound a little harder to see. I hand't thought about wild mastangs in UT.
Some of you have been on to Pioneer Woman's site I'm sure. She had a blog the other day about wild mustangs and the BLM. A very interesting read. Their ranch is located in OK. Then link to that particular blog is:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/2008/01/a_breed_apart.html
if anyone is interested.
Incredibly beautiful! We toured a mustang ranch in KS over the Christmas break, though the horses we saw were pretty docile that day.
http://ourtinydot.wordpress.com/2007/12/27/kansas-and-horse-heaven/
Beautiful Pic, Wrena!! It is awesome to see horses running free.
Wow, that's really an awesome picture! Thanks!
woops, that above was just me, I forgot to sign out after I was helping Laura with her blog earlier! sorry
What an amazing photo!!!!
Fantastic...I hope you were safely in your car when you took this!
I didn't realize that you took this picture!!! And when I saw it last week, I thought "Boy wouldn't be neat if Wrena could have seen these beauties!" And this week when visiting, I noticed your name!!! Beautiful shot, girlfriend!!! momm
Post a Comment