Thursday, March 13, 2008

How to on a Smeal engine


We start by pulling the truck in the shop. We put the stabilizers out and move aerial, so we can raise the cab in the air.

Then we open the tool box and pick the tools we need to repair the truck.

We are changing a air compressor on a ISM cummins diesel. These wrenches are made for changing cummins air compressors. Very spendy wrenches I might add.

This is what it looks like when the compressor is out. This is the left side of engine.

This is the old compressor. This is the new one installed. 12 hours later.
We had to remove the ac compressor and the power steering reservoir. We also drained the coolant. So all this adds time to it. Cummins is the hardest engine to work on. There is bolt behind the compressor that you can't see. You can only feel it. It takes probably 4 hours to remove this one bolt. That's why the bent wrenches. After it is all back together, test drive truck. Make sure you test the Q2 siren in the shop, as well as the air horns.(maybe even the lights). This always makes points with your fellow employees. Especially if they have no hearing protection in. All is fun!

4 comments or thoughts:

<3 Sierra said...

Cool! Very informational! Although, if I ever have to do that I hope a professional like you is around! ;) What do your coworkers think of you taking pictures of engines? :D

Mimi/Susan said...

I won't get any grease/dirt under my nails, will I? That's the burning question that you left unanswered!

Carl said...

I will make sure to give you a call when we need out Cummins worked on. Oh and a quick note on testing the Q2 siren and the air horns; always test them simultaneously with the Q2 at full rpm! I learned that from a five year old as the easiest way to make a fireman jump.

Anonymous said...

Uhh... I need a few more steps here. I got the compressor off but now am confused about which hose hooks back up where. :) All in a day's work... you have a much harder job than I do.