Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Few Man Marks

I found these Man Marks on our recent trip traveling through Texas, Colorado, and into California.

This is the dugout of Colonel Charles Goodnight. He is a legend in Texas...a famous Texas cattle rancher, trail blazer and Indian scout. What you won't read in the history books is that Colonel Goodnight was 91 when he decided to walk in the lowly way of Jesus in Phoenix in 1928 and 92 when he was baptised. He was 93 when he died. He made this dwelling in the panhandle area of Texas located in the Palo Duro Canyon.

I spotted this beautiful country red barn in the little town of La Veta, Colorado. It caught my eye and I had to take a picture.


This little one room school house is also in La Veta. I believe my grandmother went to this school.
Perhaps the most moving Man Marks of all are the grave stones in our national cemeteries. These are located at Fort Rosecrans, San Diego, California.

When we lived in Sacramento, we took several weekend trips to the Napa Valley...well known for it's wineries and Bed and Breakfast inns. This is Harvest House. One of my favorites!

Please excuse me for digging into my past pictures...Ike arrived!

5 comments or thoughts:

J K L M N O P said...

I think each of this is special in their own way! Thanks for sharing them with us!!

Carin said...

What a great grouping of pictures. Chales Goodnight was quite a guy! That barn is really neat, and the cemetary speaks volumes.

<3 Sierra said...

Great pics! Hope everything is going all right! Let us know how everything goes! :D We're thinking of you!

Auntie M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Auntie M said...

What a nice Variety of pictures in your post!! Very nice... heart stirring.