So, this is my first time posting a challenge, so I hope I am doing it correctly!
The challenge I have come up with is to take a "minimalist" photograph, or a few.
What is a minimalist photograph?
In simple terms, it is a very simple photo that allows your subject to be the complete focus of the frame. The background should be extremely simple and not draw attention so that the focus remains on the subject. This technique uses the least amount of color, texture, shapes, form, values, etc. possible to allow the subject to stand out. Think "less is more". This type of shooting can be very dramatic if done properly. So many times we snap photos of our subjects (our children, loved ones, pets, scenery...)without careful consideration of the background and if it could be distracting the eye of the viewer from what we meant to take a photo of. So, these next couple of weeks, try to compose a few frames that keep the focus on what it is you really want to capture in the photo. Here are some tips to help us achieve a great result.
1. Centralize your subject...doesn't mean that you must put it in the middle of the frame, but that it is the focus of the shot.
2.Keep the background simple, not busy. Make sure that there aren't too many other things in the photo vying for attention. There should be no question what we are supposed to be looking at.
3.Zoom in or zoom out. Depending on your shot you will want either a close crop or alot of negative space.
4.Color- look for very even, almost monochromatic color schemes, or for sharp contrast of bright colors. Black and white works wonderfully.
For examples of minimal photography to get your mind churning up some creative ideas click on the link below. It will take you to a flicker photo group that is all about minimalistic photography.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/minimal/pool/
I hope that we can all learn a bit about composition, and chromatics through this challenge. I'm really looking forward to it, as I have SO much to learn! Have fun! I can't wait to see what you all come up with!
3.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
New Challenge!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments or thoughts:
So, you have to copy and paste the link into your browser, sorry about that!
Wow! we are getting onto something! Cool BEANS!
I missed an amazing minimalist ~ this morning so I will tell you about it. When I left to walk with the kids to the bus I looked at my camera 3 x. I decided to leave it home. Boy was I booing myself! k the sky is white N there are powere lines runing north and south, the birds are cherping the whole time and I look up and here is a focal point right up there on the bottom of the two lines. I walked back down there and they were still singing away but no where in sight. WHAAAAH!
Wrena,
That would have been a stunning pic! I can visualize it...maybe you will get another chance! :-) When we saw lots of birds sitting on wires, Mom always told us it was a bird convention.
Post a Comment