Monday, January 28, 2008

Deep South region

I've been keeping my camera in the car and wondered if I'd get shot for taking pictures of strangers property! The licence was on a car in the grocery parking lot and Floyd County is about 80 miles from here. I took a trip to Gainesville, Ga. today(my last outing before surgery tomorrow..enjoyed the freedom!)and made several pictures. Gainesville is the chicken capitol of the world and I took the picture of the truck heading to a market near you(via slaughter house)as I was driving through town. Greene Street is an old street where the wealthy families in Gainesville lived prior to the Civil War and after Sherman burned Atlanta he headed south, thus Gainesville(45 miles NE) was spared. The street scape is on Greene St. The house I singled out used to be owned by my sister/bro in law and they used the first floor for their family business and leased out the top floor and basement. The Confederate flag is more rare to see these days, but head to the hills and you will see one--yes, racist rednecks still exist! Note welcome sign and German Shepard dog. I'd pay more attention to the dog and less to the sign! Boiled peanuts are fairly unique to Ga., though you see them also in Fa., Al., Ms., NC, and SC. Often they are called "bald peanuts" and are boiled when green(fresh harvested) or raw. Usually they're in little shacks with hand painted signs saying BOILED P'NUTS, but I didn't have time to travel to one, so you have to look at the citified version. Boiled p'nuts are delicious, full of salt and are eaten more often when it is p'nut harvest time.

9 comments or thoughts:

Traci K said...

What great pictures and history of GA! Guess it's not peach time yet? Or is that North of where you are? We lived in Charlotte, NC for 2 years so it brings back memories of our time there!

Traci K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Traci K said...

Oops! Sorry I posted that twice. It won't let me delete it...ugh!

Anonymous said...

Great picture tour! I was very enthralled with Georgia as a young teen. I had read 'Gone with the Wind' so decided to get a pen pall from Jonesboro. I have lost touch years ago but it was fun when we wrote.

Carl said...

Nice photo tour! Now I know some highlights to look for if I ever make it to Atlanta for a Thrasher's game.

All American Family said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I love the plantation homes, though I've only actually toured one, in Virginia. These are so stately...

So the peanuts... did they really call them "goober peas"?

Mimi/Susan said...

"Goober peas" is from a song written during the Civil War. When food supplies ran out the soldiers ate p'nuts out of the fields. People use the term as slang sometime still, as in "bring me a coke and goobers" .

The J's said...

Thanks for the tour! I've never been to Georgia either, although our oldest daughter lived in Alanta as a Nanny for a year. My Mom, MIL and our two youngest got to visit her there.