This is called the Sundial Bridge. There are little signs on the outside saying the time so you can tell what time it is cause it is actually a working sundial!! It is pretty cool to see, when its windy the bridge sways a little! The bridge was actually really expensive, I think 3 million. And lots of people really complained about the cost cause us taxpayers paid for lots of it. But it has brought lots of tourism and is really cool to walk on, on a really nice day. There is a museum type thing and a little cafe on the end called Turtle Bay. So it is a cool place to visit and lots of people from different cities come to see Turtle Bay and the Sundial Bridge. The bridge was just built maybe 5 years ago?
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments or thoughts:
Most unusual...and very "forward". Thanks for pictures.
What a cool bridge!
A cousin from California had sent pictures of this structure while it was being erected... it is very interesting!! Good Pictures.
I love bridges, thanks for sharing and they are awesome pictures.
Our (well, actually it was my friend Cheryls) car broke down in Redding years ago and all I remember is the Super 8 and the cadilac dealership. Not pleasant memories. So, thanks for the photos. That is one cool bridge. Too bad it was not around well I spent a few memorable days in Redding.
Very interesting! I've learned something I didn't know I didn't know. ;)
I like artsy stuff like this that could be considered impractical and over the top but is unique to a city. Thanks for sharing this... do you know who designed it?
Is that see through? It is interesting but I'd probably never make it across. I am "afradycat"
Wow, what a neat bridge! Very handy to tell if you are running late. Love the pictures.
http://www.visitredding.org/sundial/sundial101.cfm
If this link works it will tell you more info on the bridge.
Amy B~ the designer is Santiago Calatrava.
Lots of people do really enjoy the bridge, there are cables that hold it up and so when its a little windy it sways! It is really cool unless you are a fradycat! =)
Post a Comment