Pictures in Spring, Fall and Winter
Montana is known for its variety...from magestic mountains, to the high deserts, river breaks and rolling prairies...to find something you like, you don't even have to leave the State! While Montana is mostly known by its western Mountains...most people miss the vast beauties of the prairies. Lewis and Clark were the first to comment on the "Big Sky Country"...it's something that is as true now as it was then. You can walk to the top of a hill or meander down to the dale...the horizon is almost touchable...the sky feels so close...yet so far away! This is where in the late 1800s and early 1900s people chose to homestead...with it's lush green grass and abundant possibilities. In the 1930s...or the Dirty 30s as they were known, many had to leave. Not because they didn't love the area, but because they were unable to make a living. The previous lush ground became a dust nightmare. And yet there were a few hearty homesteaders, mostly Scandenavian, who chose to sit it out. The 30s passed and once again...it became a very profitable part of the state. The oil production fuels Montana's economy and Durham Wheat (the grain found in pasta) is grown for 70% of the nation. Right here in northeastern Montana! Yes, there are a few poor folks who claim it's the end of the world, but the true Montanan knows that it's where it all starts! So now...there are reminders of fortgotten dreams with abandoned homesteads, but also a new generation the picks up where the generations before have left off. I like what someone said once: "I have never seen people work so hard to get so little...yet be so content". It rings true in any humble home...contentment. Please feel free to visit!
These aren't what I planned on publishing...but perhaps next week I could sneak a late picture or two in this post of my planned pictures. Have a great week!
7 comments or thoughts:
So very wonderful to see these again. I had not seen any thing that reminded me of where I was when I met you in 1991. Fond memories of those tiny little mtgs. The memories could flood the page but I will save them, for now. Sweet Hugs to you
Such beautiful country! Thanks for sharing!
Beautiful pictures! The bottom two could be in Nebraska, as it too has such a variety.
I love your pictures! I still think that Montana is the last best place! Such a gorgeous state!
The prairie truely does have it's own beauty - I love your pictures as they remind me of where I lived the first 6 years of my life in north eastern Montana. Wonderful years with grandparents and young single uncles and an aunt living close by who were wonderful to their little nieces! :)
Such beautiful country...I really must come see it for myself.
It is so beautiful... a country that would make you take up painting. Does the unique topography in the first photo have a name?
Post a Comment