Friday, April 18, 2008

Not "Old"... but....

My scanner broke a few months ago so I can't really fix an "old" photo but I did do quite a bit of work with this one. Click to enlarge
Take a look at the after.... Before...
---To do this first I cropped the picture using no restriction cropping. Then I used the clone stamp tool to get rid of the poles in the back that I didn't like. Then I created two more layers. The top layer I set to soft light. The second layer I set to screen. I moved the opacity of the screen layer to around 25% opacity. Then I made a new adjustment layer, went to hue/saturation. Set the master saturation at 20. Adjusted yellows, greens, cyans, blues to all approximately 15-20 saturation. Then I used the burn tool to burn the edge. For the text I used Eraser Dust, set a soft edge drop shadow, then under visibility I set to hide. Next I flattened the image and did a unsharp mask on it.
---I wanted to use it as my blog header so I resized it to 1000 wide, that didn't fill out the header like I wanted to so I played with the width until it fit the header perfectly, that ended up being 1325 wide.
---Phew, so there you have it. Also, on my post for today I did all those steps with the pictures of the kids in the mud. I am wishing I had CS3 so I could set actions - boy that would make it easier!
---Thanks for the challenge

6 comments or thoughts:

Donna and Jim said...

Wow! Thats great! I love how you did that! Good work!

The J's said...

Nice job! It looks great!

Carl said...

Awesome, thanks for the play-by-play. I might just have to try a couple of those tricks out and see what I can do...

Auntie M said...

This inspires me to work with more tools on Photoshop!! Great Job!

Mimi/Susan said...

Cute kid and expressive picture! Thanks for sharing the tools you used. I'm anxious to learn photoshop but I think the most important factor to remember is the thought/feeling/experience that is being captured to start with. You captured a happy childhood experience and then enhanced it. Good job.

Traci K said...

Carin, I need to take "Photoshop 101" from you!! Great job!!