Saturday, May 10, 2008

How I did it....

There were several inquiries as to how I got the shots of the water drops. Here is a picture of my setup.

I used a tripod but I wonder if you could set your camera on books or something if you don't have a tripod. But which ever method just make sure there is no camera shake.
I set a little clear bowl on a raised surface that was covered with a blue dish towel (that is where the blue color in the water was coming from). Initially I filled the little bowl about 3/4 full. Then I filled it to the rim with water (good thing there is a dish towel under it). The best pictures were produced when the bowl was full. For the water I used a medicine dropper held in my left hand while I pushed the shutter with my right hand. This is a little tricky at first but you'll get the hang of it. This is a must: set your lens to Manual Focus. Focus on the area and you'll be ready to shoot away.
I put a hydrangea plant in the background for some but on the 3, 4, and last picture I only had my wall as a backdrop. So you could certainly experiment with different backgrounds and the reflection they would produce.
As for the camera, I use an SLR but I certainly see no reason why you couldn't use a point and shoot. It all comes down to timing and you will figure out when you need to press the shutter down. My camera is pretty quick but my trigger finger was slow sometimes *smile. Again, experiment with timing.
I had the camera on auto for some shots and others I set the shutter speed, F-stop or both.
  • For the first two and the last picture I used F-16 with a shutter speed of 1/200 second
  • For the one with the orange background I used f/4.5 with 1/60 second

Also, last month I tried the same thing in a sink and it was really easy to just barely turn the faucet on and let it drip into a full sink. So you could try that too.

And first and foremost... this is how it worked for me. I am still learning and there are so many of you that know way more than me. I just wanted to let you know how I did it.

If you give it a try post more pics and lets see how great they are. Thanks all!

4 comments or thoughts:

All American Family said...

Thank you Carin for the "turorial"...very informative.

Donna and Jim said...

Thanks for sharing! I had to try it!

Mimi/Susan said...

Thanks. I'm going to try this.

Auntie M said...

Thanks for the play by play instruction - it will help us give it a try!!