Sunday, June 8, 2008

Favorite Things

Grandma's sewing kit and lavender from my garden. I never tire of looking at these.


















I did want to do a person, and perhaps I will yet... hmmm... off to search for a victim.

13 comments or thoughts:

Carl said...

Awesome! Good luck finding a victim, they have all looked at me crazy when I ask...I am sure you will have better luck locating one...

Wrena said...

Good Shot of the Lavender!! I'd hang that one up in my house! I am having a hard time getting one as some what busy getting ready for convention but tomorrow night I am going to make a better attempt to get out for a walk at sun set and see what I can get. I have a religous structure in mind just for the structure silouette. Since that is close! What do ya think of that Idea? I would really like to take a drive out to the country and get some thing more my style. But that is not an option right now. Maybe we could have silhouette 2 in the future

Anonymous said...

Wrena- I'd love to see a "religious structure" one. We have a Catholic church under construction not far from us and I thought the structure and the work cranes would make a cool outline against the sky, but so far, I've been faced with mostly cloudy backdrops, so that one hasn't worked.

Carin said...

Great pictures. The sewing kit fascinates me. Did you just take it outside? Also, did you use a macro lens on that one? I really like the way a lighter color in the background gives way to a deeper color in both of the pics - it is very subtle.

I'm with the others on photographing people. I have tried to get my kids out in the evening/morning but it has been in the 30's. They're not so eager to stay out there, wonder why. I'm working on it but I better hurry.

parose said...

Fantastic picture, Amy! I really like the idea with the sewing kit. The lavender against the sky is worth framing for sure. Beautiful contribution.

Wrena, I think the religious structure would make an excellent subject for this challenge. I hope you can get a photo like that. Have a wonderful convention.

Now I've got to get busy.

Donna and Jim said...

Great photos. The sewing kit was a great idea. I didn't think to find ordinaray objects to take a picture of. I just walk around the house with my camera and a brain block of what to take a photo of. Anyway, you did awesome, as usual.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments. I held the sewing kit inside a lampshade, using the lamp for the backlighting. It's a little blurrier than I wanted but not bad for holding it in one hand and taking the photo with the other. Someday, I need a tri-pod. I didn't use a special lens, Carin, though I can get pretty close with my digital.

<3 Sierra said...

I like the angles you used, as well as the unusual subjects. Don't worry about victims...I'm pretty sure people think photographers are crazy in general! Teehee!

Auntie M said...

I think that the sewing picture would be great in the sewing room - framed!! The lavender is great too.

ducknme said...

I love the two shots side-by-side. The both almost look like flowers and yet they both almost look man made. very cool.

Mimi/Susan said...

I echo what others have said. I like that the color tones reflect the subject matter, as in sepia tones and blue tones.

The J's said...

Beautiful, Beautiful!
I think both are very unique!

Traci K said...

I agree with AuntieM that that sewing picture needs a frame. It would be cool along side a close up silhouette of an old sewing machine (you know the kind your Grandma probably had that was attached to a table?). The lavender is beautiful. I can almost smell it now!