Saturday, June 21, 2008

Female Hummer



This little female hummer has been coming to our house since about mid spring. She first enjoyed the daffys out in front of the house and has been coming to the feeder out back ever since. I had a very difficult time getting a picture of her because if I move too fast she's gone. But the other day I was cleaning the kitchen and I just happened too be holding the camera (to put it away) when I noticed her at the feeder. I set it to the "action" setting and got off a few shots before she took off. I love the last picture where you can almost count the feathers in one wing and the other is a solid blur.

10 comments or thoughts:

Carin said...

LOVE it!!!

Wrena said...

Great Job! I envy you, we put up a feeder & we get humming birds yes, but the wasps come too! Ick so enough of that says Dear Hubby and it does not come out any more, boo hoo hoo.
Keep them coming!

parose said...

What beautiful shots! I love humming birds and you caught this just little bird perfectly! Good job!

Donna and Jim said...

I love hummers. What cool photos. Do you know what kind it is? It doesn't look like one we have here.

And Wrena, don't let the bees stop you. You can get little bee covers for the little flowers on the feeders so the bees can't get to the syrup. They give up fast. Also, if you see bees on them you can move the feeder and it takes the bees a while to figure it out. The birds are smarter than the bees. Probably TMI. sorry.

Anway, great photos Tara!

ducknme said...

Donna, I have no idea what kind she is. Few of the sites on the internet give you pictures of females and I have never seen a male with her. She's got a black head, a grey body and a few green feathers on her back. So if any one knows....

Carl said...

I have always liked humming birds, but have never managed to entice any of them to come around; great pictures!

The J's said...

We don't have any around our place either, and I think they're so neat to watch. Good job catching these photos!

Auntie M said...

I to love hummers - they are fascinating!! You got really good shots!! Great post!

Mimi/Susan said...

These pictures are just excellent..not that I know a lot about how to measure quality photography..but I do think these are exceptional. They're not fake looking from over the top enhancing. Great job!

Anonymous said...

You captured this little guy beautifully! I saw one near our cabin on the trip but by the time I came back with my camera, he was gone. Great detail!