Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Variety is the spice of life!

Here is a variety of my attempts at action pictures.

My grandson, Gavin, swimming like a fish.
Taken last year at his neighborhood swim meet.

I love to see the American flag waving
and have taken many pictures of it.
This one I caught on a walk
through our neighborhood today.

I took this one last year in Hawaii.
This is the Kilauea steam vents on the big island of Hawaii.
If you've never been to the islands and seen the volcanoes
this steam is very hot!

This is one of the San Antonio ducks on the Riverwalk.
Just a little added note: After meeting tonight, as we were all leaving, we saw lightning flashing behind a massive cloud! Oh how I wished I'd had my camera with me. Words can't describe it and probably pictures wouldn't do it justice either. Alas! I didn't have my camera so I missed capturing the moment. Several of us stood and watched it and we wondered aloud if that was just a little taste of what it will be like when Jesus returns. It was amazing! You couldn't help but look at it ("every eye shall see") and if the clouds (he'll return in the clouds) encircle the earth with his brightness shining through...no one can miss it! Made me long just a little bit more for Jesus' return. What a sight that will be. Maybe some of you have seen something similar, but I never have before tonight. It made such an impression on me that I wanted to share it with y'all.

14 comments or thoughts:

Carin said...

Looks like comments are coming slow, must be the next round of conventions starting. I hope all have a wonderful time. I enjoyed your pictures. Those steam vents are really amazing. Is that the start of a volcanic eruption or more like Old Faithful?

Mimi/Susan said...

Enjoyed your pictues and your thought. That duck looks so serene, but under the surface we know he's paddling like crazy!

Wrena said...

You did well!I too liked the duck and there is a spiritual lesson in your pictures. Susan already mentioned a great point, I was about to mention

The J's said...

The duck is my favorite, but I thought you did great on all of them, and really liked your thought! I have seen the lightning like that behind a cloud, and it is very "striking"! I was trying to catch the lightening going on when I took my photos for the silhouettes last week, but didn't have the time to work with my settings & it was starting to rain.

parose said...

Carin, the steam vents are evidence that something is "brewing" under the surface. They try to monitor the volcanoes so they can predict to some degree when/if one will erupt. So it is not exactly like Old Faithful. The only active volcanoes in the Hawaiian Islands is on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Maxine,is it very "striking" (smile) to see lightning behind a cloud. I am really going to have to figure out how to get the most out of my new camera. I'm used to just pointing and shooting.

Thanks for all your comments.

Carin said...

Parose, you mentioned you got yourself a new camera, what did you treat yourself to?

parose said...

It's a Canon PowerShot S5IS with 8.0 mega pixels. I can cheat and use the standard point and shoot feature or customize. So far I haven't gone beyond the point and shoot. (smile)I'm thinking about taking a photography class.

The J's said...

That's what mine is!! I just got it this spring and haven't done much beyond the automatic either!

parose said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one on automatic!

Carin said...

Glad you're both enjoying the Cannon. I went for the Nikon D80. My dad has Cannon too, but I fell in love with the Nikon. And don't worry, it gets a fair amount of use on auto unless I have something specific in mind.

Donna and Jim said...

I love the flag photo but they are all great. Good job.

Carl said...

Great Pictures...Oh and don't worry, automatic mode is my favorite too. Only a few times when I am feeling creative does my camera get more interaction from me.

Auntie M said...

Love your post - especially the flag! I so appreciate what that flag represents.. the freedoms we enjoy.

Anonymous said...

The duck really looks like he's moving! And I always enjoy trying to photograph a flag. You can catch so many different folds.