Monday, July 28, 2008

Big Sky Country


Absolutely my favorite challenge thus far, probably because I enjoy sunset/sunrises and capturing the events on some form of photography media. As promised I have used all new pictures for this challenge, which has made the past few days very interesting. I have missed the perfect sunset because I didn’t have a card in my camera, I have filled up a card while taking pictures and didn’t have my spare card, I have even been in the wrong place at the wrong time…BUT I have managed to be (or at least race to) in the right place on a few occasions to capture a few magical moments. Due to extreme upper level haze (fires in Calif) I have been unable to capture the picture that I have been dreaming of but at least I was able to get a few decent pictures to share.

What amazes me the most, sunsets are a continual phenomena that are visible only for a few moments for any one given individual; could you imagine what is must look like if one could travel at the right altitude and speed to watch a continuous sunset? To see all the colors changing as the atmospheric haze changes? If I was an astronaut, that would be my moment of climatic glory.


All the pictures were taken with in forty miles (yes I burned a little fuel and did contribute to the global warming just a little) of my home and even had to share sunset hill with my Aunt, but there is enough sky to go around in Big Sky Country. Truly amazing how much the atmospheric conditions place into the coloring of the sunset, and with the minimal smoke in the air this summer we are missing the blood red sunsets, but it is nice to be able to breathe outside.

I took only 326 pictures and had to narrow it down to just a few to share, but I have plenty of new wallpaper for my work computer now. Most all of the pictures were taken on a Fuji Film A900 with no digital editing, a couple were edited just for my pleasure and to combine the perfect sky with the perfect skyline (of course I noted in the caption the ones I edited). I hope you all enjoy the slide show, I know I have enjoyed each and every one’s sunsets they have shared.

10 comments or thoughts:

Wrena said...

Glad you finally shared! Love the wheat field! - windmills - and some others but must say your efforts are worth it!

J K L M N O P said...

Beautiful! Makes me wonder just what I'm missing in the other 330 pictures you took!! These were well worth the wait!

Carin said...

Great job! Of course I love the one with the powerline structures in it! I like the little collage you did, too. Awesome!

Auntie M said...

You spent your evenings very well! Fablous pictures!! I love the butte!!

The J's said...

Very very good! Really enjoyed your pix too. I think the sunsets have definitely been my favorite one too.

Anonymous said...

You really took this one seriously! These challenges help us notice things we would ordinarily let pass with the coming and going of the day. I'm still looking for a chance to get a sunrise, but I'd have to get up too early to do that. :)

Mimi/Susan said...

I've also enjoyed this challenge and looking at sunsets from different parts of the world. Great pictures here.

Carl said...

Amy, that is why we take pictures of the sunrises in the winter, they occur at much more reasonable times.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah... and then in the winter, it's too cold to get up that early. I can get up, fix breakfast for the school crew, go back to bed and still miss the sunrise. :)

parose said...

Such a great collection of sunsets! Your post shows how different sunsets can be, but all are magnificent.