Friday, July 4, 2008

From the Desert to the Islands

Per Carin's request I am adding this old photo that my husband, Andy, took many years ago. It is such a shame that all of the pineapple fields are gone and the Dole pineapple plant is closed. When you think of Hawaii the sweet taste of pineapple comes to mind.









Whenever we visit family in Hawaii I spend some time photographing the wonderful flora and fauna on the islands. My mother-in-law loved her plants and she maintained a beautiful yard. I cannot think of Hawaii and not think of her plants and flowers.
Here are some of my favorites.



Hibiscus

Heleconia

Plumeria

Purple Giner
































10 comments or thoughts:

Carin said...

Thanks for much for sharing your pictures and your story. I was fortunate enough to go to Hawaii with a 5th grade field trip and once with family. I remember taking the pineapple tour - any pictures of those?

The J's said...

Beautiful!
Hawaii is always one place I've wanted to visit!

parose said...

Carin, The photos I took of the pineapple fields are all on slides. Yes, that antiquated gender! However, I found an old photo in one of my albums that my husband took many years ago. So I posted it. It's the best I could do.

Maxine - I hope you do get to visit Hawaii someday. It is a most enchanting place.

Mimi/Susan said...

To me Hawaii is paradise on earth, if there is such a place. And THE BEST pineapple. Loved your pictures.

Carin said...

Thanks for the pineapple shot. I had no idea they closed the Dole plant. I am glad I was on the tour before it ended. I was there in 1985.... oh, yeah, a while ago for sure!

Auntie M said...

Super flower shots!! I love the pineapple. It is a first for me... I have never seen them growing before. Good post.

parose said...

I owe you an apology, Carin. They did close the Dole pineapple plant, but I just discovered it has been renovated now and they have tours. I'm sure it is not like the original, but they are preserving some of the heritage and history that is so much a part of Hawaii. My mother-in-law's parents came from Portugal to work in the pineapple fields in the early 1900s as many people did in those days.

Deana said...

I really like the pineapples!

Anonymous said...

The leaves and stalks in these pictures are amazing. They look so fibrous and sturdy!

Hawaii is on my list to visit, too.

Donna and Jim said...

I love tropical flowers. I hope they still have the awesome pineapple ice cream at the dole tour. That was my favorite. We last stopped there in 1999. Too long ago. Love the flowers.